Deviled eggs originated in Italy, with the word “deviled” being used to mean spicy or with zest. This version of the recipe isn’t too spicy, so it’s a friendly finger food for kids of all ages. Thanks to Tim for making them for us. 🙂
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($3 total for 16 deviled eggs)
8 eggs – $2.24
1 tsp dijon mustard – $0.08
2 tbsp mayonnaise – $0.20
1/2 tsp garlic powder – $0.14
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp paprika for sprinkling on top – $0.14
1. Hard boil the eggs: in a medium pot, cover the eggs with cold water and put them on the stove set to high. When the top of the water starts to get disturbed from boiling, set a timer for 8 minutes. Turn the temperature down slightly so it’s going at a gently rolling boil, not too crazy. When the timer goes off, drain the hot water and fill the pot with cold water to cool the eggs. Peel the shells off when the eggs are cool enough to handle.
2. Prepare the white bowls and yolk filling: cut each egg in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to gently scoop out the yolk from each egg half. Try not to break the egg whites as you’re doing this. Arrange the whites on a plate, and mash up the yolks with the mustard, mayo, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
3. Decorate the eggs: scoop the yolk mixture into a piping bag with a ridged metal tip if you like patterns, and squeeze some yolk mixture into each egg white bowl. The yolk should stand up tall, well above the egg white. Sprinkle with paprika if you like. Serve room temperature or cold from the fridge. Store any leftovers in an airtight container to eat the next day.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 2 = 4-6 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 2 = moderate impact
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 15/18
If any of you amazing cooks tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!