We eat some variation of superfood salad every day for lunch, so one day we decided to do something crazy. A different plate of raw greens! With grapes!! Shocking. Actually, this kale caesar salad turned out to be pretty fantastic. Why not give it a spin?
Thanks to Isa for inspiration, and to all of you for being part of our delicious, mindful, planet-saving family! 😍
Ingredients ($7 for 3 lunch-sized salads)
4 cloves of garlic, peeled – $0.15
3/4 cup cashews, soaked – $1.50
1/4 cup nutritional yeast – $0.40
1 lemon, squeezed for juice – $0.20
3/4 cup water – free
1 tsp of spicy brown or dijon mustard – $0.08
1 tsp salt – $0.05
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 bunch lacinato kale, washed, stems removed, and chopped into bite-sized pieces – $1.99
1 bunch Thompson green grapes, washed, stems removed – $2.99
Directions for Kale Caesar Salad
1. If you have time, soak the cashews in water overnight first. If not, cover them in water and microwave for 2 minutes, then soak for 15 minutes at room temperature. This will make them easier to blend into a nice, creamy sauce. Next, use your blender to chop up the garlic cloves with several high-speed pulses. Add in the soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon, water, mustard, salt and pepper. Blend until it’s very smooth.
2. In a large bowl, mix the washed kale with the dressing and massage the dressing into the kale with your hands for a couple of minutes – this is the super fun part, and it will also soften the kale leaves so they’re not chewy to eat raw. And voila! Couldn’t be easier. Serve your kale caesar salad in lovely bowls and top with the grapes for a bit of sweetness. Happy lunching! 🥗
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 1 = <4 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 16/18
If any of you lovely readers tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!