When I was pregnant in Canada (close to 20 years ago now!) the two things I incredibly enjoyed eating were poutine and veal sandwiches. Poutine is a French-Canadian dish of french fries with cheese curds on top and covered in gravy, so the cheese gets all gooey. It’s hard to imagine until you actually taste it. The plant-based gravy here is inspired by Sam, and the french fries are from our recipe here.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($7 for 4 good servings)
8 Yukon Gold potatoes – $1.44
Water – free
1/4 cup olive oil – $0.40
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup margarine or vegan butter – $0.62
1 onion, chopped – $0.50
2 tbsp flour – $0.02
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth – $0.75
Soy sauce to taste
Your favorite dairy-free cheese (feel free to try different ones!) – $2.99
Basil garnish (optional)
1. Make the fries according to this recipe, or prepare frozen french fries according to the package if you don’t have 2 hours to spare.
2. Make the gravy: In a large pan over medium high heat, melt the margarine, then stirfry the onion for about 10 minutes until it starts to get nice and golden. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then slowly pour in the broth while you whisk constantly, so it doesn’t get lumpy. Keep whisking and cooking until it’s nice and thick, then turn off the heat. Add soy sauce to taste, which also gives it a nice rich color.
3. Assemble the poutine: Put your fries in a bowl first, then sprinkle a generous helping of dairy-free cheese, then smother the whole thing in gravy. Add a basil leaf on top for flair if you like, then dig into your comforting bowl of Canadian goodness.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 2 = 4-6 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 1 = eat rarely
- TOTAL: 14/18
If any of you lovely readers tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!