What happens when you play with mixing banana bread and zucchini cake recipes? A very moist, flavor-balanced breakfast cake studded with both raisins and chocolate chips. It disappeared in 24 hours, feeding 5 of us for 2 breakfasts. Hope you enjoy it!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($4 total for one loaf)
2 eggs – $0.58
3/4 cup brown sugar – $0.39
2/3 cup canola oil – $0.50
2 tsp vanilla – $0.40
2 tsp cocoa – $0.07
1 ripe banana, mashed – $0.19
1 large zucchini, grated – $0.78
1/2 cup raisins – $0.50
1/2 cup chocolate chips – $0.50
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour (or 1 1/2 cups flour + 2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt) – $0.25
1. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and brown sugar together until they’re light and fluffy. Add in the oil, vanilla, and cocoa and mix well, then add in the mashed banana and zucchini.
Stir in the raisins and chocolate chips, then slowly add in the flour mixture. Make sure it’s fully incorporated and the batter has no flour lumps in it.
Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.
2. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. It will be deep golden and springy on top when you lightly touch it with your finger, and a knife inserted into the cake will come out clean. Cool for a few minutes then cut into it and enjoy.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for a few days if it doesn’t get all eaten up.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 16/18
If any of you amazing home chefs tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!