This decadent pudding is dairy-free and has only two ingredients: coconut milk and chocolate chips. It’s satisfyingly rich and creamy when you need a hit of chocolate pudding, and it’s completely plant-based so no cows were harmed in the making of it. Enjoy!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($3.50 total)
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (not “light” coconut milk) – $1.99
1 1/2 cups semisweet or dark chocolate chips (not “milk chocolate”) – $1.50
(Optional: 1 tsp vanilla)
1. In a medium pot over medium heat, mix the coconut milk and chocolate chips together. Stir frequently for 10 minutes until the mixture is completely smooth, silky, and slightly thickened.
Remove from heat (add vanilla here if using) and let it sit for 5 minutes, then pour into individual serving bowls.
2. Cover and refrigerate the bowls for 2 hours if you can stand to wait that long (pictures on the left and in the middle below) or overnight (picture on the right below with the very thick puddingy texture).
Grab a spoon and dig into the decadence!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 2 = 4-6 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 16/18
If any of you amazing home chefs tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!