Here are some kid-friendly pineapple-coconut-strawberry smoothies guaranteed to put a smile in your day. Adults can always add some rum to make it more like the real thing if you like. It’s just like a day at the beach. Well, almost. Aloha!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($5 total for 2 smoothies)
1 cup frozen pineapple chunks – $1.66
4 pitted dates – $0.83
1 cup coconut milk – $1.49
3 fresh strawberries, plus some for decoration – $1.00
1. Put all the ingredients in a blender. Blend until mostly smooth, then serve in fancy glasses with strawberries over the side of the glass. Enjoy in your most tropical state of mind.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 1 = <4 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 16/18
If any of you amazing home chefs tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!