I challenge you – yes, you, reading this right now – with the eyes and the nose – to do one thing to help the environment today.
And that one thing could be to brainstorm/research/create a list of ideas for how to save the world, starting small, of course, but then tomorrow’s thing can be to do at least one of them. You can do it!
Here’s my list, feel free to borrow from it:
- Accept the challenge and don’t worry!
- Do a meditation!
- Begin at home!
- Turn off unnecessary lights and water
- Plant a garden and eat your fresh produce
- Eat more plant-based
- Take quick showers instead of baths (unless you would really like/love a bath!)
- Drive less, travel less – bonus: costs less!
- Cook instead of buying pre-packaged food – bonus: healthier and way more yummy and fun!
- Buy less stuff
- Reduce, reuse, recycle, and compost. Get creative!
- Use food scraps to make new taste sensations. Candied orange/lemon peels, veggie broth with stalks/stems, marmalade, etc.
- Buy organic, local, sustainable items instead of promoting non-environmentally healthy companies when possible
- Wear clothes until they are unwearable for you, then donate them, instead of buying all the latest fashion and throwing your old clothes in the trash or leaving them dormant in your closet. You can also sew up old clothes!
- Clean your air with plants around your house
- Hang up clothes instead of using the dryer. Tip: if you don’t have a clothesline or much space to hang up clothes, don’t worry! If you do your laundry in batches on different days, it won’t use more water, and you will be able to hang up your clothes in whatever space you have. You can also get creative with how/where/what you hang your clothes on.
- Eat more raw foods so you use less energy cooking – bonus: extra healthy!
- Borrow library books instead of buying them when possible to save paper
- Don’t get the receipt unless you need to
- If you don’t need (or REALLY want to), then don’t.
- Towel-dry your hair instead of using a hair dryer. It saves energy, helps you practice patience, and it is better and safer for your hair
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Research what can and can’t be recycled
- Clean up trash in your neighborhood
- Volunteer at local farms, beach cleanups, food banks, and other organizations in your community
- Donate to causes that help the environment
- Join events like the 2020 Earth Day online race
- Use reusable water bottles and containers when you’re out and about
- Bring your own lunch instead of buying fast food/pre-packaged food
- Support local business and community-supported agriculture – get farm boxes delivered to your door
- Join a protest for better treatment of the planet
- Write persuasively to convince people to join the movement!
Remember, the health and well-being of the people on the planet is essential to the health and well-being of the planet! If all the humans are healthy and happy, they can focus on making the whole of planet Earth healthy and happy as well!
Thank you very much! Happy Earth Day!!