French crepes can seem like a daunting thing to make, but my husband makes it look very easy. We like to have these with blueberry sauce, maple syrup, and sometimes other treats like Nutella, strawberries, bananas, and whipped cream. You could also make these savory and filled with a tofu veggie stirfry. Bon appetit!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($3 total for about 12 crepes)
2 cups flour – $0.32
4 eggs – $1.16
1 cup soymilk – $0.38
1 cup water – free
1/2 tsp salt – $0.02
4 tbsp melted margarine – $0.62
Canola oil spray – $0.15
Directions for French Crepes
1. In a large bowl, add the flour and eggs together, and whisk to combine. Slowly add in the soymilk and water, stirring constantly so it doesn’t get lumpy. Last, add in the salt and melted margarine and mix until it’s a beautifully smooth and pretty thin batter.
Heat a small or medium pan over medium heat and drop a ladleful of batter in the pan, immediately lifting the pan and rolling it around to make an even circular layer that fills all the edges.
2. After 2 minutes of cooking, loosen the edges of the crepe with a spatula or a fork, and either do a fancy pan flip or grab a spatula to flip it like a pancake. Cook for 2 more minutes until both sides are a gentle golden color, then slide the crepe out of the pan onto a plate. Keep the stack of crepes warm in the oven while you’re cooking the rest.
3. Serve your French crepes hot and fresh, with blueberry sauce, maple syrup, Nutella, strawberries, bananas, or whatever other toppings you enjoy! These work well as leftovers the next day too – just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to re-warm.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 2 = moderate impact
- Nutritional value: 1 = eat rarely
- TOTAL: 15/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!