When there’s leftover rice around, we like to turn it into a comforting bowl of creamy, vanilla-y, raisin-y goodness. The egg gives it extra creaminess but you could leave it out for a completely plant-based dish. You can enjoy this for breakfast or dessert – it’s like a warm hug.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($2 total for 4-6 servings)
2 cups cooked rice – $0.35
2 cups vanilla soymilk – $0.74
1/4 tsp salt – $0.01
2/3 cup raisins – $0.67
1/4 cup brown sugar – $0.13
1 egg – $0.29
1. Put all the ingredients except the egg into a medium pot. Heat over medium high heat, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes until it starts to get thick and creamy.
In a small bowl, beat the egg, then stir it continuously into the rice pudding for another 3 minutes. It will set into a custard-like consistency. Serve hot or warm. Enjoy!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 2 = 4-6 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 16/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!