I eat this superfood salad most days for lunch, often with kale instead of lettuce. It’s so easy to make and has all the nutrients I need. Today I decided to mix it up a bit and make the sardines into fishcakes. It was a tasty addition!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($5.50 for 6 fishcakes)
2 cans of sardines in water (not smoked) – $3.96
1/2 cup oat flour (oats ground up in the blender) – $0.06
1 egg – $0.29
1 tsp each onion powder, dill, chili powder, ginger – $1.12
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil for frying – $0.20
1. In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients except the olive oil. Be sure to mix well. It will make a thick mixture.
2. Grab handfuls of the sardine mix and make patties. In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat, then add the patties in. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
3. Serve over top superfood salad or with your favorite salad or sandwich fixings. Your body and mind will thank you!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 1 = <4 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 2 = decent meal
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish (fried)
- TOTAL: 14/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!