These cupcakes are almost too cute to eat! A little flock of marshmallow sheep with coconut-scented frosting and vegan vanilla cupcakes underneath. Thanks to Rachel Fong for design inspiration and Isa Chandra Moskowitz for cupcake batter ideas.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($17 total for 12 cupcakes)
1 cup vanilla soy milk – $0.37
1 tsp apple cider vinegar – $0.11
1 1/4 cups flour – $0.20
2 tbsp cornstarch – $0.20
3/4 tsp baking powder – $0.01
1/2 tsp baking soda – $0.01
1/2 tsp salt – $0.03
1/3 cup canola oil – $0.22
3/4 cup sugar – $0.66
2 tsp vanilla – $0.20
1 cup coconut oil – $8.79
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar – $3.08
1 1/2 tsp vanilla – $0.15
1/4 cup vanilla soy milk – $0.09
1/2 cup chocolate chips – $0.25
2 cups mini marshmallows – $0.99
24 whole cashews – $2.00
1. Make the cupcakes: In a measuring cup, mix the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and sit for a couple of minutes to curdle. In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together, then add in the canola oil, sugar, vanilla, and curdled soymilk. Stir just until there are no clumps of flour, then pour evenly into 12 lined cupcake tins.
2. Bake the cupcakes and make the frosting: Bake the cupcakes at 350F for 20 minutes, then lift them out of the tin with a blunt knife and cool on a wire rack. Meanwhile, add the coconut oil and powdered sugar to a large bowl and mix together with an electric mixer until smooth. You could also do this by hand if you don’t have an electric mixer. Add the soy milk and vanilla and mix for a couple more minutes to get a nice spreadable texture.
3. Decorate: On each cooled cupcake, spread some frosting evenly over the surface with a blunt knife or spreader. Add cashew ears, place the chocolate chip eyes and nose, and break the mini marshmallows in half to make sheep fluff. Place the sheep fluff marshmallows all over the sheep faces as desired. Get creative and have fun! Warning: if you give cute names to your cupcake sheep (like Sheepy, Peep, and Fluffball), they will be harder to eat. 🙂
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 1 = eat rarely
- TOTAL: 15
Experiment Outcome: This recipe gets added to our Family Favorites! 🙂
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!