If you want to give yourself the gift of a nourishing breakfast to wake up to with zero morning work, all you have to do is spend 5 minutes the night before putting 6 things into a jar. This is my new favorite breakfast! You can top it with any fruit you have around the house – in this case we had bananas and blueberries.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($1.75 for 3 jars)
1 1/2 cups soy milk – $0.56
1 cup rolled oats – $0.12
1/4 cup peanut butter – $0.58
1/4 cup raisins – $0.25
1 tbsp ground flax seeds – $0.15
1 tsp maple syrup – $0.10
Pinch of salt (optional) – $0.01
1. In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients.
2. Divide evenly into 3 jars or covered bowls and put in the fridge overnight.
3. In the morning, serve cold with whatever fruit you have on hand. I enjoyed it with blueberries and bananas.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour of work (plus sitting overnight)
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers if you’re just serving 1 person (3 meals)
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 18 (maximum score!)
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!