A bright, lively and very simple salad that will make your whole body smile. This was inspired by the Forks Over Knives plant-based eating movement. I’m not normally a fan of cucumbers but I polished off a second helping of this! We ate it for dinner with sauteed sesame spinach and steamed rice.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($5 total)
2 cans garbanzo beans, drained – $1.98
2 cucumbers, diced – $2.49
2 lemons, juiced – $0.40
1/2 tsp paprika – $0.14
Sprig of mint, chopped up – free from the farm
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients except the olive oil. Be sure to mix well. It will make a thick mixture.
2. Add the lemon juice, paprika, mint, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
3. And that’s it! Serve with any side dishes, like sauteed sesame spinach and rice.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 2 = 4-6 servings
- Cost per person: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 17/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!