This is a fun dessert or breakfast to make – it’s basically like a giant blueberry-upside down muffin that you make in a pan on the stove. Blueberry sauce + dumplings + whipped (coconut) maple cream = happy smiling tummies.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($11 total for a big panful)
4 cups frozen blueberries – $4.98
½ cup brown sugar (optional) – $0.26
1 tbsp lemon juice – $0.10
1 ¾ cup flour – $0.28
3 tbsp sugar – $0.17
2 tsp baking powder – $0.03
½ tsp salt – $0.03
¼ cup butter or margarine – $0.62
1 cup milk or soy milk – $0.37
2 cups dairy or coconut whipping cream – $2.99
3 Tbsp maple syrup – $0.71
1. Make blueberry sauce: In a large pan, mix blueberries, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until berries soften, about 3 minutes.
Make dumplings: In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Rub the butter or margarine in with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add milk and stir just until combined.
2. Drop tablespoonfuls of dumpling batter on top of the blueberry mixture in the pan. Cover with a lid that’s buttered on the inside, so the dumplings won’t stick to it. Keep the heat low enough to just bubble but not boil disruptively. Simmer until dumplings have steamed and are dry/firm to touch, about 15 mins.
3. While dumplings are steaming, make the maple cream. Combine the whipping cream (we used the coconut-based one shown below) and maple syrup in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until the cream is nice and stiff.
Scoop the blueberry dumplings into bowls and serve topped with maple cream.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 2 = decent meal
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 1 = eat rarely
- TOTAL: 15/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!