Sometimes a body just wants some veggies, and fast! When you get that craving, this is a great recipe to reach for. Snow peas, mushrooms, tofu, peppers, zucchini, bok choy – really almost any veggies you have on hand would work here. You could make your own teriyaki sauce or buy it premade.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($14 total)
1/2 bottle Trader Joe’s Soyaki sauce (or other teriyaki sauce) – $1.85
1 package extra firm tofu, cut into chunks – $3.69
1 tbsp olive oil – $0.10
4 cloves garlic, minced – $0.15
1 orange pepper, diced – $0.99
1 (8 oz) package crimini mushrooms, sliced – $2.49
2 zucchinis, halved and sliced – $0.78
1 (9 oz) package snow peas – $2.29
2 bok choy heads, chopped – $1.99
1. Marinate the tofu in the teriyaki sauce for at least 20 minutes (can be longer if you cover it and put it in the fridge).
2. Chop up all your veggies! Heat the olive oil over high heat in the biggest pan you have. Cook the garlic first, just for a minute until it starts to turn golden (not dark brown).
Add the mushrooms, pepper, and zucchini, and stir to cook for about 5 minutes.
Next add in the snow peas and bok choy, and cook for about 3 more minutes, just until they turn bright green.
Lastly, add in the tofu.
3. Mix everything together thoroughly, and turn the heat down to medium. Cook for about 3 more minutes to bring the tofu up to a nice warm temperature and let the teriyaki sauce get mixed into everything.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 18/18 (maximum possible score!)
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!