Monday pie is a simple British weeknight dinner to throw together, and this casserole lasted us for three dinners. You could also freeze leftovers for weekday lunches – we always have extra thermoses handy in case everyone wants to take hot lunch to school. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($11 total for a full 9×13″ casserole)
1 onion, chopped – $0.50
2 tbsp olive oil – $0.20
1 lb ground beef – $5.99
2 tbsp flour – $0.02
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce – $0.20
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce – $0.67
1 (15 oz) can baked beans – $1.49
1 1/2 cups frozen peas – $0.75
2 large russet potatoes, thinly sliced – $0.36
1/2 cup grated gouda or cheddar cheese – $0.97
1 cup water – free
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and cook the onion for about 8 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the ground beef and Worcestershire sauce, and cook for a few more minutes, stirring frequently, until the meat is no longer pink. Mix in the flour, tomato sauce, and baked beans, then simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed.
2. Stir in the frozen peas and pour into a 9×13″ casserole pan that’s been rubbed all over with a bit of olive oil. Cover with the thinly sliced potatoes, followed by the grated cheese. We have some non-cheese people in our family so we left part of the potatoes cheese-less.
3. Cover with foil and bake at 375F for 1 hour, until the potatoes are tender, then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes to brown the cheese. Cool for a few minutes, then scoop out portions onto plates and enjoy!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 1 = wowzers (beef)
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 14/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!