If you have leftover rice, this is the quickest, one-step dinner in the world. It’s also very comforting and nourishing. We like to have it with some veggies on the side, either a salad or just some peas and corn for the kids.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($4.50 total)
4 cups cooked rice – $0.46
2 cans red kidney beans – $1.98
4 tbsp olive oil – $0.40
3 tbsp rice vinegar – $0.50
1 tbsp dill – $0.70
1 tsp oregano – $0.28
1. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients. That’s it! 🙂 Eat at room temperature or warmed up. Also good as leftovers.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = >6 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 17/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!