“Chicken and sobas, please!” is the frequent answer to “What do you guys want for dinner?” at our house. It’s a spin on a baked chicken dish I had at a retreat once, mixed with a yummy warm soba noodle salad and a side of veggies. Today’s veggies are the British treat of cauliflower cheese.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($16 total)
2 lb chicken breast – $6.54
1/4 cup canola oil – $0.37
1/4 cup soy sauce – $0.40
1 tbsp bourbon – $0.30
2 tbsp honey – $0.28
2 tsp garlic powder – $0.56
2 tsp ginger – $0.56
2 tbsp sesame seeds – $0.16
1 8 oz package soba noodles – $2.99
4 tbsp toasted sesame oil – $1.60
6 tbsp soy sauce – $0.60
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar – $0.81
2 tbsp maple syrup – $0.48
1. Marinate the chicken in the mix of canola oil, soy sauce, bourbon, honey, garlic powder, ginger, and sesame seeds, cover in foil, and let sit for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
Leave foil on chicken and bake in a 350F oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, turn the chicken breasts over with a fork, and bake for another 20 minutes without foil. Then turn the chicken breasts over one more time and bake for a final 20 minutes. They should be fully cooked at this point and nicely soaked in juices. Feel free to cut into one if you want to make sure there’s no raw pink inside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt the water if desired, and add the soba noodles. Cook according to package directions (usually about 4 minutes). While it’s cooking, combine the toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and maple syrup in a small bowl.
3. Drain the noodles and mix in the sauce, then put everything on the table and dig in!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = >6 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 2 = moderate impact
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 15/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!