Surprisingly easy to make, naan is a flatbread made in a pan to accompany any Indian dish or other dipping-friendly dinner. We had it with Healing Lentil Soup, then drizzled honey over the leftover naan as a snack.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($2.50 total)
1 tbsp dry active yeast – $0.50
1 tsp sugar – $0.06
1/2 cup water (hot from the tap) – free
2 ½ cups flour – $0.40
1/2 tsp salt – $0.03
1/4 cup olive oil – $0.80
1/3 cup plain Greek or soy yogurt – $0.42
1 egg – $0.29
1. In a small bowl, mix the yeast, sugar and hot water. Stir to dissolve then let sit for a few minutes or until it is frothy on top.
In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with the salt. Pour the oil, yogurt, egg, and yeast mixture into the flour, and stir until well combined. Add 3 more 1/2 cups of flour, one at a time.
When it gets too hard to mix with a spoon, knead with your hands for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and soft and all the flour is mixed in. Put the dough in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
2. Cut the risen dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece out with a little bit of flour into a circle about 6 inches across, allowing for variation in shapes.
3. Place the dough circle onto a skillet heated to medium heat and cook until the bottom is golden brown and large bubbles have formed on top. Flip it and cook the other side until golden brown as well. Store the cooked naans on a plate covered with a towel to keep them warm as you cook the remaining ones. Serve with dal or other yummy dips.
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = >6 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 16/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!