Growing up in Ontario, Canada, we didn’t get over to Quebec very often to enjoy the French-Canadian meat pie known as tourtiere. But living in California now, it’s nice to make Canadian recipes from all over the country. Here’s our tourtiere, loved by all ages. Eat it straight up or with a side salad.
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($9.50 total)
1 lb ground pork – $4.69
1 potato, peeled – $0.18
1 clove garlic, minced – $0.04
1 cup water – free
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce – $0.03
1/4 tsp mustard – $0.02
1/4 tsp cinnamon – $0.03
1/4 tsp cloves or nutmeg – $0.14
Salt and pepper to taste
2 pie crusts, thawed – $3.99
1 egg, beaten – $0.31
1. Mix the ground pork, whole peeled potato, garlic, water, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, cinnamon, cloves/nutmeg, and salt and pepper in a pot over medium-high heat.
Cover, bring just to a boil, then simmer for 1 hour. Take pie crusts out of the fridge to bring up to room temperature.
2. Take the potato out, mash it, and return to the pot. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. You can also adjust the thickness, adding bread crumbs or water to make it into a thick spaghetti sauce texture. Cover and let cool.
Preheat the oven to 400F. Press one pie crust into a 9″ round pan and pour the meat mixture into it.
3. Cover with the top crust, and pinch it well all around the sides to seal. Brush the entire top with egg wash and make slits in the crust. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes, then drop the oven temperature to 350F and bake for another 25-30 minutes until golden and bubbly on top. Cool for 15 minutes, then cut into it and enjoy!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 2 = 1-3 hours
- Servings: 3 = >6 servings
- Cost per person (prices based on Trader Joe’s/Costco): 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 2 = moderate impact
- Nutritional value: 2 = healthy-ish
- TOTAL: 15/18
If you tried it, please let me know how it came out for you. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!