We score each food according to several measures for sustainability:
- financial cost – see our 9 most budget-friendly recipes
- family taste – see our 9 most delicious family-friendly recipes
- environmental impact – see our top 9 environmentally-friendly plant-based recipes
- nutritional value – see our 9 most nutritionally balanced recipes
- time to prepare – see our 9 quickest prep recipes
- cook once, eat many times – see our 9 top recipes with leftovers
Search for your favorite food above, or check out the list and links to each recipe below. Enjoy!
Most Recent 100 Recipes…
- Beet Burgers: Recipe #269These beet burgers taste like you’re dining at a fancy bistro, which isn’t exactly possible in many quarantined cities right now. I chopped up the beet greens to throw into the mix as well.
- French Onion Soup with Cashew Cheese: Recipe #268I love French onion soup: the earthy oniony broth, the soft soaked bread, the gooey melty cheese. This is the first time I’ve tried making it at home, and it was fantastic. We even made our own plant-based mozzarella from cashews!
- Classic Breads: Recipes #262-267I’ve been baking my way through Paul Hollywood’s fantastic book called Bread, and here is my take on his first 6 recipes, in the section Classic Breads.
- Babushka Stew: Recipe #261If you have Polish or Russian roots, your Grandma might be called your Babushka. This is a simply delicious “Babushka stew” with potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions, chick peas, rice, dill, thyme, and a bit of plant-based ground meat.
- Pan de Muerto: Recipe #260Here’s a recipe for Pan de Muerto, a traditional bread baked for Dia de los Muertos. It’s a soft, orange-scented brioche, shaped into a round loaf with bone-shaped dough pieces draped over it.
- Banana Milk: Recipe #259Banana milk is one of my favorite pick-me-up drinks when I want a light breakfast or a refreshing afternoon snack. So easy to throw together: just a banana, soy milk, some greens powder, and vanilla. If you have a blender and 3 minutes, you can make this too!
- Pumpkin Scones with Two Glazes: Recipe #258Everyone except me likes pumpkin spice. (At least in our house.) So once a year I buy the cans of pumpkin and the house turns into a pumpkin spice factory. These dairy-free pumpkin scones are a special treat that are very popular around here.
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff: Recipe #257We used to make this dish with beef and dairy, but I’d say we all enjoy this vegan mushroom stroganoff just as much, if not more. It gets bonus points for not leaving a super heavy feeling in your stomach.
- Moist Vegan Chocolate Cake: Recipe #256I’ve never put olive oil in a cake before, but this came out as just about the moistest, most flavorful chocolate cake we’ve ever eaten! We spread apricot jam between the layers, and the hints of vanilla-almond-chocolate-coconut really make it a cake worth having third helpings.
- Creamy Potato Leek Soup: Recipe #255When we made this potato leek soup, we nicknamed it “hug soup” because eating it feels like melting into a warm hug. The creaminess of the coconut milk marries beautifully with healing herbs and lovely leeks.
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins: Recipe #254Bananas and chocolate in a convenient portable (vegan) muffin cup. What could be better? Thanks to Megan for this recipe. I was skeptical about using 4 bananas for one dozen muffins, but it really makes them so moist. They’re definitely the best banana chocolate chip muffins I’ve ever tasted!
- Biscuit Pot Pie: Recipe #253Here’s a comforting casserole filled with tofu, veggies, and a creamy sauce, topped with soft, pillowy biscuits. It’s a wonderful weekend project if you have some extra time and love to put into making dinner.
- Irish Stew (Plant-Based): Recipe #252On a chilly fall day, there’s nothing like coming home to a bowl of warm, hearty Irish stew. Here’s a plant-based version that nourishes your spirit and sticks to your ribs as much as any meat-based stew would.
- Crusted Tofu, Mashed Potatoes with White Bean Gravy and Massaged Collard Greens: Recipe #251We learned today that when you make a satisfying crusted tofu and pair it with cauliflower mashed potatoes, rich white bean gravy and a lemony collard salad, it’s one of the best dinners you can imagine.
- Plant-Based Mac & Cheese: Recipe #250You toss some cashews and cheesy sauce ingredients into a blender, boil the pasta and broccoli in the same pot, and mix it all together. Plant-based mac & cheese is a new favorite at our house!
- Best Vegan Brownies: Recipe #249Fudgy in the middle, crispy on the outside, and animal-free. The best vegan brownies, sure to put a smile in your tummy any day of the week!
- Feijoada from Brazil: Recipe #248Feijoada is like a Brazilian black bean chili. We added vegan sausages to ours instead of the traditional varieties of meat, and served it with rice.
- Bangladesh Khichuri: Recipe #247Bangladesh Khichuri is a rice and lentil curry filled with healing vegetables and lovely spices. It’s a beautiful, warm bowl of comfort on a cold day, or anytime your spirit needs a hug.
- Mennonite Zwieback Buns: Recipe #246My husband Tim’s family makes Mennonite zwieback for many meals and gatherings. They’re a bit like two mini-buns stuck together. You pull the top one off and fill the little bread bowl underneath it with jam.
- Lemon Blueberry Drizzle Cake: Recipe #245My British grandma always had some home-baked treats waiting for me. This recipe is a plant-based spin on her lemon blueberry drizzle cake: a classic English tea time treat.
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes: Recipe #244This is the kind of dish where you say “how can it taste THIS good?” Layered potatoes in creamy sauce with a crunchy topping. What’s not to like? I will now be making vegan scalloped potatoes for every family holiday feast.
- Plant-Based Cinnamon Rolls: Recipe #243These warm, gooey, plant-based cinnamon rolls disappeared very quickly at our house. Even better that they don’t have dairy or eggs to cause our bodies and our planet suffering.
- Kale Caesar Salad (Plant-Based): Recipe #242A different plate of raw greens! With grapes!! Shocking. Actually, this kale caesar salad turned out to be pretty fantastic. Why not give it a spin?
- Coconut Rice and Beans: Recipe #241We were inspired by a national dish of Belize to make this coconut rice and beans dinner. Hope you enjoy this little culinary trip to a wonderful new land without having to leave your kitchen.
- Chocolate Raspberry Brioche Buns: Recipe #240Chocolate raspberry brioche buns are clouds of fluffy bread stuffed with a single raspberry and a square of chocolate that melt together as they bake. You bite into one and a burst of flavor comes through the soft pillowy brioche. Magical.
- Lemon Strawberry Cupcakes: Recipe #239Citrus + berries is a vibrant combination with many delightful variations: orange blueberry, lime blackberry, grapefruit raspberry, and of course today’s feature of lemon strawberry cupcakes.
- Homemade Creamed Corn: Recipe #238I remember eating creamed corn out of a can as a kid, especially when we were at the cottage or on a road trip. It had never occurred to me to make homemade creamed corn, but here’s a yummy plant-based way to do just that!
- Korean Lentils to Melt Your Heart: Recipe #237In the spirit of being interconnected, I’d like to share this scrumptious healing recipe for sweet, tangy Korean lentils. They will absolutely melt your heart.
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes (Vegan): Recipe #236These dark chocolate peanut butter cupcakes, made without any animal ingredients, are our gift to you on your path of awakening.
- Moroccan Vegetable Tagine: Recipe #235Don’t wait for the future to find happiness here and now. If you make this Moroccan vegetable tagine, it’s pretty much happiness in a bowl.
- Coconut Tofu Curry: Recipe #234For this take on Malaysian curry we played with broccoli, mushrooms, kale, tofu, and coconut milk to make some culinary magic.
- Baked Vegan Beignets: Recipe #233Imagine a cross between porridge and pancakes, and you’ve got oatmeal drop scones! We added blueberries in for a bit of brunchy festiveness.
- Oatmeal Drop Scones: Recipe #232Imagine a cross between porridge and pancakes, and you’ve got oatmeal drop scones! We added blueberries in for a bit of brunchy festiveness.
- Tempeh with Basil and Garlic: Recipe #231You can use almost any herbs and spices to season tempeh, since it’s kind of like a flavor sponge.
- Pasta with Cheezy Lentil Sauce: Recipe #230A totally yummy, cashew-cheezy, hearty-lentilly pasta dish of comfort for any family dinner.
- Detox Smoothie: Recipe #229A wonderful collection of superfoods that can clean out toxins from the body and leave the mind full of positive energy.
- Pizza Bowls: Recipe #228If you want a break from wheat or dairy, pizza bowls are a beautiful way to enjoy pizza without the bread and cheese. You take a bowl of rice and load it with veggies, plant-based ground meat, and a velvety cashew-tomato sauce that tastes very rich and cheesy.
- Plant-Based CampingWe just got back from nine days of camping in a tent, and boy did it feel good to get home to a comfy bed. … Continue reading Plant-Based Camping
- Crusty Two-Tier Artisan Bread: Recipe #227For our crusty two-tier artisan bread, we used coconut oil instead of lard and converted the measurements from grams to cups and tablespoons.
- Sunflower Mac & Cheese (Vegan): Recipe #226Paired with green beans and plant-based meatballs, sunflower mac & cheese makes a completely delicious and nutritious dinner.
- Strawberry Coconut Bread Pudding: Recipe #225This strawberry coconut bread pudding is a plant-based version that uses coconut milk for extra creaminess.
- PREPARE Curriculum: Ready for A Bright FutureHere is my PREPARE Curriculum. I created a self-study program that might take me a few years to fully immerse myself in and emerge from wiser and stronger.
- Homemade Poutine (Fries + Plant-Based Gravy + Vegan Cheese): Recipe #224Poutine is a French-Canadian dish of french fries with cheese curds on top and covered in gravy, so the cheese gets all gooey. It’s hard to imagine how good it is until you actually taste it.
- Maple Apple Butter: Recipe #223Maple apple butter is a sweet apple topping for your ice cream in honor of Canada Day, and summer, and apples.
- Apricot Plum Cobbler (Plant-Based): Recipe #222What is an apricot plum cobbler, you say? It’s baked fruit with fresh biscuit dough on top, which tastes spectacular!
- Mappleberry Muffins: Recipe #221Apples, blueberries, maple syrup, oats – these mappleberry muffins have all the wholesome goodness of Canada.
- Split Pea Potato Soup: Recipe #220Sometimes you just want a creamy, comforting soup to soothe your spirit. This split pea potato soup hits the spot and happens to be plant-based too for extra happiness.
- Mango Coconut Smoothies: Recipe #219Mango coconut smoothies are an easy way to start the day with fruit and energy. For this tropical treat, you just throw some frozen mango and coconut milk in a blender, mix, and top it with anything you have on hand
- Dairy-Free Caesar Salad Dressing: Recipe #218This dairy-free caesar salad has a lovely, garlicky, lemony dressing without the animal products you might find in a traditional version.
- Raw Plant-Based Brownies (with Decadent Frosting!) : Recipe #217These fudgy raw plant-based brownies can be thrown together in 15 minutes and will be devoured in about the same amount of time if you don’t hide some of them for later!
- Funje (Cassava Porridge): Recipe #216In Angola, they make cassava flour into this gloopy porridge called funje. Happy exploring!
- Chocolate Chip Banana Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes: Recipe #215We made these “chocolate chip banana peanut butter oatmeal cookie pancakes” one weekend for a celebration we were having, and everyone wanted more.
- Vegan Potstickers/Gyoza/Mandu Dumplings: Recipe #214They’re fun to cook, steamed on one side and fried on the other side, then dipped in a sesame soy based sauce. All the kids went back for seconds of these vegan potstickers.
- Megan’s Graduation Pasta: Recipe #213Megan’s special request to celebrate at home was this graduation pasta dish – a medley of pasta, garlicky tomato sauce, beans, chick peas, pepperoni, peas, basil, and plant-based parmesan.
- Black Forest Cupcakes (Very Fudgy!): Recipe #212The normal chocolate-cherry combination typical of German black forest cake isn’t my favorite flavor medley, but with apricots and the extreme fudginess of this recipe, I could eat these black forest cupcakes all day long!
- Paqa’s Scottish Scones: Recipe #211They’re delicate little Scottish scones that you break in half and load up with berries and whipped cream. Definitely best eaten when they’re warm. Each bite is like a dream.
- Canadian Hodgepodge Stew: Recipe #210Canadian hodgepodge is a bit like taking whatever vegetables you have left from your garden and tossing them into a big, nourishing stew.
- Japanese Milk Bread (Plant-Based): Recipe #209Japanese milk bread is an unusual, brioche-like bread recipe that starts with making a kind of roux, or thick flour paste, that gets mixed into the rest of the dough as you go.
- Oven S’mores in 5 Minutes: Recipe #208Graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate, all melted together – welcome to oven s’mores!
- Homemade Waffles with Berries: Recipe #207Waffles originated in Belgium and are now enjoyed around the world. Homemade waffles are a wonderful weekend treat!
- Berry Yogurt Granola: Recipe #206Pair the granola with your favorite (non-dairy) yogurt and summer berries, or any other fruit you enjoy. It’s a complete breakfast ready in 5 minutes – hooray for berry yogurt granola day!
- Fluffy Twister Bagels: Recipe #205We’ve tried a number of twister bagel recipes now, and this one is by far the best! Just like a bakery in Toronto I used to go to.
- Understanding Our Cultures with FoodI am seeking understanding for how I can be of service to the suffering planet and all its living beings right now.
- Moist Banana Zucchini Cake: Recipe #204A very moist, flavor-balanced breakfast cake studded with both raisins and chocolate chips. This banana zucchini cake disappeared in 24 hours.
- Chocolate Coconut Pudding: Recipe #203This decadent chocolate coconut pudding is dairy-free and has only two ingredients: coconut milk and chocolate chips. It’s satisfyingly rich and creamy when you need a hit of chocolate!
- Dutch Crunch Rolls: Recipe #202Dutch crunch rolls are popular for sandwiches here in the San Francisco Bay Area. It’s a soft bread on the inside with a crispy rice flour topping that bakes into a crunchy crust.
- Quick Meals When You Don’t Have Time to CookFear not, the 9 quick meals below can all be prepared in 5-30 minutes, so you can be prepared for any hunger emergency without resorting to popcorn and ice cream for dinner
- Balsamic Maple Glazed Tempeh: Recipe #201This balsamic maple glazed tempeh recipe is a slow marinating, slow cooking feast, with balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, soy sauce, and olive oil blending to delight the senses.
- Garbanzo Broccoli Fritters: Recipe #200You could make these garbanzo broccoli fritters with any kind of beans and greens, like lentils and zucchini, kidney beans and collard greens, etc. We made them with garbanzo beans and baby broccoli because that’s what we had on hand.
- Chocolate Almond Croissants (Dairy-Free): Recipe #199Amazingly flaky, crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, AND dairy-free croissants with vegan butter and homemade marzipan. I would happily eat these chocolate almond croissants anytime she wants to make them.
- Lemon Chicken with Homemade Pita and Tzatziki Salad: Recipe #198How about a tangy lemon chicken marinade and a bright cucumber mint salad to go with your freshly baked pita bread? Sounds good to me!
- Chickpea Salad Sandwiches: Recipe #197If you love a good chicken salad sandwich but want to eat a more plant-based diet, here’s an idea: make chickpea salad sandwiches instead!
- Moist Carrot Cake (Dairy-Free): Recipe #196If you like moist carrot cake, this one is also dairy-free! It pairs nicely with cream cheese frosting.
- 9 Even-better-the-next-day Recipes With Lots of Yummy Leftovers“Hooray, it’s leftovers day!!” With these recipes, there are always smiling mouths happy to re-eat what we enjoyed the night before.
- Italian Tomato Salad: Recipe #195Growing up, we often had fresh tomatoes in the summer from our own backyard garden or someone else’s nearby. My mom would make this refreshing Italian tomato salad to go with a loaf of fresh bread for a quick lunch.
- Pina Colada Smoothies: Recipe #194Here are some kid-friendly pineapple-coconut-strawberry pina colada smoothies guaranteed to put a smile in your day. Adults can always add some rum to make it more like the real thing if you like. It’s just like a day at the beach. Well, almost. Aloha!
- Lemon Poppyseed Cookies (Colossal!): Recipe #193You’ve heard of lemon poppyseed cake and muffins, but why not lemon poppyseed cookies? We combine the soft, moist goodness of the cake into a giant, dairy-free cookie.
- Korovai Fruit and Hazelnut Bread: Recipe #192Korovai is a braided, decorated fruit bread often served at Russian or Ukrainian weddings. This one is filled with raisins, orange peel, cranberries and hazelnuts.
- Strawberry Mango Smoothie: Recipe #191Here’s a refreshing summer snack if you have some fresh strawberries to use up. Mix them with some frozen mango, non-dairy ice cream, and soy milk, and voila – a bright and nutritious treat of strawberry mango smoothie. 🙂
- Ratatouille for Summer: Recipe #190We’ve watched the Pixar movie Ratatouille at least a dozen times, but have never worked up the courage to actually make the film’s signature dish. We decided to give it a go. The hardest part is all the slicing of the vegetables. Other than that, it’s easy and fun to put together this healthy French delicacy.
- Comfort Food: Recipes That Give You a Warm HugThis week I’ve pulled out some of our comfiest recipes for when you need to whip up some good, old-fashioned, homemade comfort food.
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake with (Vegan) Cream Cheese Frosting: Recipe #189It’s zucchini season again in California, so we’re back to our favorite zucchini fritters and creamy zucchini pasta. But wait, zucchini chocolate cake too? How versatile is this vegetable?
- Savory Bean Stew with Dumplings: Recipe #188We’ve made this bean stew recipe twice already, with the lovely combination of dill, rosemary, and sage warming our tummies. As a bonus, leftovers the next day are just as good as the real thing.
- Apple Crumble Tatin: Recipe #187came up with this fusion idea: apple crumble + date squares + tarte tatin. You caramelize the fruit in a pan just like the French delicacy tarte tatin, but then instead of covering it in puff pastry, you put oatmeal crumble on top and bake the whole thing.
- Baked Olive Mushroom Lentil Burgers: Recipe #186What happens when you mix mushrooms, lentils, kalamata olives, and some delicious spices? Nourishing and delicious veggie lentil burgers!
- Lentil Miso Gravy with Seitan, Broccoli, and Quinoa: Recipe #185When transitioning to a plant-based diet, it can be helpful to have some meat-like meals to soften the change. This recipe tastes like a rich beef stew, thanks to a hearty lentil miso gravy.
- Vegan Malai Kofta: Recipe #184Vegan malai kofta is a plant-based take on a classic Indian comfort food – think of tender dumplings in a creamy sauce.
- Nutritionally-Balanced Recipes to Keep You Happy and HealthyWhen someone in our house is having a hard day, the way I like to help best is by making a healing, nourishing meal for all of us. Here are some go-to nutritionally-balanced recipes I pull out for whenever we need some extra tender loving care.
- Fudgiest Plant-Based Brownies: Recipe #183Some days you just need a good fudgy brownie to hit the spot. This recipe is made without dairy or eggs, and is arguably more satisfying than a traditional non-vegan brownie – everyone here gobbles these plant-based brownies up with gusto.
- Chana Curry Buns: Recipe #182These yeasted chana curry buns have a curry-scented dough and a filling of spiced chickpeas, coconut milk, raisins, and onions.
- Asparagus Leek Potato Soup: Recipe #181One of the treats I like to make is a creamy asparagus leek potato soup with sage. It’s a comforting, nourishing bowl of healing goodness.
- Soft Pretzels: Recipe #180Soft pretzels are boiled in baking soda water like bagels before they’re covered in salt and baked. This gives them their chewy yet fluffy texture.
- Pasta with Pea Puree: Recipe #179Peas, mint, lemon, garlic, tahini, cumin, salt and pepper. Pea puree is not your typical pasta sauce.
- Our Daily Quarantine RoutineHumans like routines. Especially during lockdown, when it’s a quarantine routine.
- Hawaiian Sweet Rolls with Pineapple Pulled Pork: Recipe #178I bought the pulled pork already made, but we made the Hawaiian sweet rolls and pineapple relish from scratch. It’s a tangy and satisfying meal. Aloha!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Balls (Plant-Based): Recipe #177These delicious chocolate peanut butter cookie balls take a few minutes to whip up and don’t need to be baked. No refined sugar, no white flour, no dairy, just amazing flavor and decadent enjoyment.
- Cauliflower Tikka Masala: Recipe #176We love the creamy curry-ness of a good chicken tikka, but now we’re eating more of a plant-based diet. What to do? Fortunately Jamie Oliver came to the rescue with the inspiration for this cauliflower tikka masala recipe.
- Easy Deviled Eggs: Recipe #175This version of easy deviled eggs isn’t too spicy, so it’s a friendly finger food for kids of all ages. Thanks to Tim for making these for us. 🙂
- Waffle Bowls in the Oven: Recipe #174Megan wanted some waffle bowls recently, so we found a way to make them in the oven without even needing to have a waffle maker! This recipe was inspired by Taste of Home.
- Homemade Baked Beans: Recipe #173You could also use any black or pinto beans. The turtle beans definitely left their perfume in our bathrooms for a few days, but the taste of these lovely homemade baked beans was worth it.
This is our matrix for determining how sustainable each meal is:
- Time to make
- 1 = 3+ hours
- 2 = 1-2 hours
- 3 = <1 hour
- 1 = <4 servings
- 2 = 4-6 servings
- 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per person
- 1 = >$10
- 2 = $5-10
- 3 = <$5
- 1 = inedible
- 2 = decent meal
- 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact
- 1 = wowzers (endangered/imported)
- 2 = moderate impact
- 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value
- 1 = eat rarely (high sugar/fat)
- 2 = healthy-ish
- 3 = optimal nutrition
Each factor is scored 1, 2, or 3 according to how long it takes, how much it costs, etc. Then the scores are all added up to get the overall sustainability score, which has a maximum of 18.
Anything that scores over 15 goes into our family favorites cookbook.
Recipes still to come…
Pigs in a blanket
Schwarzwalderkirschtorte (Black forest cake)
Ahashoo (nut taffy)
Tzimmes (brisket stew)
Amaretti (almond cookies)
Haddock fish and chips with tartar sauce
Aligot (potatoes and cheese)
Afghan biscuits (chocolate cookies)
Apple pandowdy (apples with dumplings)
Acar timun (pickles)
Steamed fish with ginger and scallions
Double chocolate pudding
Granny smith apples
Melon with strawberries and kirsch
Langue de chat cookies
Thomas’ English muffins
Sweet Georgia peaches
Blini with caviar
Baked Rome beauty apples with vanilla ice cream
Affogato (coffee and ice cream)
Anticuchos (beef kebabs)
Pots de creme au chocolat
Baked Idaho russet potatoes
Lady Baltimore cake
Apple pie (Cortland or Northern spy apples, cheddar crust)
Tapas: boquerones, tortillas de camarones, papas alina, patatas bravas, montados de lomo, chorizo a la plancha, anchovies, olives, cheese
McConnell’s Turkish coffee ice cream
Salami and eggs
Steamed syrup sponge pudding
Anzac biscuits (oat coconut cookies)
Zwetschgenknodel (plum-stuffed potato dumplings)
Pastrami and corned beef
Transylvanian baked sauerkraut with sausages
Angolotti (stuffed pasta)
Dried fruit compote
Fried clam roll
Bread fried in bacon grease
Victorian seed cake
Fresh onion soup
Shellfish in black bean sauce
Thai chicken curry
Kulebyaka (salmon dill mushroom pie)
Manhattan clam chowder
New England clam chowder
Kale caesar salad with crispy black beans
Chinese veggie stirfry
Saratoga potato chips
Idli and vada
Italian wedding soup
Turkey zucchini meatloaf
Scallop, bacon and pea pasta
Sesame ginger salmon
Creamy veggie soup
GBB7 Week 3 – Bread: Dampfnudel
Mousse au chocolat
Irish whiskey cheesecake
Scordolea (garlic mashed potatoes)
Yekik alich’a (yellow split peas with turmeric)
Chocolate bourbon cake
Kaeng keow wan (thai green curry chicken soup)
Artichauts a la Barigoule (peasant artichokes)
Roti / chapati with sambal
Dill and caraway
Aish-el-saraya (palace bread pudding)
Dulce de leche
Smorkage (butter cake)
Golden yoich (Chicken soup)
Murabba el balah (dates stuffed with almonds)
Aush (chili with noodles)
Aushak (leek ravioli with lamb sauce and yogurt)
Bharta (roasted eggplant mash)
Borani (spinach yogurt dip)
Bulanee gandana (flatbread with veggie filling)
Kebab-e-murgh (chicken kebabs)
Korma-e-sabzi (spinach stew)
Quabili palaw (chicken, rice, carrots, raisins)
Sambossas (like samosas)
Torshi (pickled vegetables)
Hawaiian sea salt
Shrimp ‘n grits with rose marie sauce
Funnel cakes (Jaffa cakes actually)
Ambrosia (fruit salad)
Benne wafers (sesame cookies)
Bread pudding with whiskey sauce
Corn on the cob
Eggs sardou (poached eggs with artichoke, spinach, hollandaise)
Gateau de crepes with creme St-Honore
Giant Syrian tomatoes
Green eggs and ham
Hash (meat, potatoes, onions)
Maque choux (smothered corn)
Muffaletta (Italian sub sandwich)
Nova smoked salmon
Po’boy (seafood sandwich)
Smoked salmon pizza with olive oil, dill creme and onions
Southern potato salad
Tuna salad sandwich
Wet bottom shoofly pie
Chimichurri (parsley garlic oregano olive sauce)
Anoush aboor (honey rice pudding)
Pavlova (meringue with fruit)
Bayrische semmelknodel (stale bread dumplings)
Dobosctorte (multi thin layer sponge with chocolate and caramel)
Griessklosschen (semolina dumpling soup)
Kaiserschmarren (fluffy shredded pancake)
Kartoffelklosse (potato dumplings)
Plunder (pastry with cherries or apricot)
Sachertorte (chocolate apricot cake)
Schokoladen topfenpalatschinken (chocolate-topped crepes)
Serviettenkloss (napkin dumplings)
Wiener schnitzel (chicken/veal cutlets)
Aselila (egg salad with walnuts and sage)
Scordolea (walnut garlic sauce)
Endive au jambon sauce mornay (endives with ham and cream sauce)
Waterzooi a la gantoise (creamy fish or chicken stew)
Farofa (toasted cassava flour)
Feijoada (black bean and pork stew)
Moqueca (coconut fish stew)
Vatapa (shrimp peanut stew)
Mamaliga and kachamak (corn porridge)
Mango panna cotta
Tong Yuen (sweet rice dumplings)
Calabaza (winter squash)
Callaloo (greens + coconut milk)
Beijing kao ya (Peking duck)
Candied apple fritters
Chengdu ji (chicken with ginger, garlic, celery)
Chuk sun (bamboo shoots)
Chung yau bang (scallion pancake)
Dan dan mian (spicy noodles with pork and vegetables)
Dau mui (garlicky pea shoots)
Gai see guen (rice noodles with shredded chicken)
Gau choy (chives)
Grated turnip cakes with pork
Guk char siu bau (steamed pork buns)
Guotie (pork and cabbage dumplings)
Hai xian jiang (hoisin sauce)
Har gow (shrimp dumplings)
Huajiao (sichuan pepper)
Li-tzu-tan-kao (Peking dust – chestnut, cream and nut dessert)
Parathas (flaky flatbread)
Qi guo ji (steam-pot chicken)
Seun lot tong (hot and sour soup)
Shi zi tou (stewed pork meatballs with cabbage)
Shiitake mushrooms with bok choy
Shiu mai (pork and mushroom dumplings)
Sijidou chao rousi (string beans with shredded pork)
Singapore mei fun (Singapore noodles like pad thai)
Siu loon bau (pork dumpling)
Tianzha hetao (candied nuts)
XO sauce (spicy umami seafood sauce)
Colombian supremo coffee
Cascos de guayaba (guava shells in syrup)
Flaeskeaeggekage (bacon and egg pancake)
Kamme (almond vanilla pastry combs)
Kodboller i selleri (meatballs with celery)
Kokt torsk (boiled cod)
Krammerhuse med flodeskum (crepe cake wraps with cream and jam)
Kransekager (marzipan ring cake)
Mordbrad med svedsker og aebler (roast pork loin with prune and apple stuffing)
Rejer (dilled shrimp)
Rodgrod med flode (red berry pudding)
Rodkal (red cabbage)
Smorrebrod (open faced dark rye sandwich)
Snegle (cinnamon swirl pastry)
Wienerbrod (Danish pastry)
Banketletters (almond letter pastry)
Hutspot met klapstuk (mashed veggies with braised beef)
Uitsmijters and broodjes (fried eggs and ham on bread)
Poppy seed strudel
Biram ruzz (baked rice with chicken)
Eesh baladi (flatbread)
Feteer (filled pastry)
Ful medames (fava bean stew)
Karkade (hibiscus tea)
Kosheri (rice, lentils, pasta, chick pea dish)
Mahalabia (milk pudding)
Om ali (puff pastry, milk, nut dessert)
Tamia (fava bean fritters)
Bangers and mash
Eccles cakes (small currant-filled cakes)
Gooseberry fool (cream and fruit dessert)
Cumberland sauce (port currant sauce)
Smoked bacon butty (sandwich)
Toad in the hole (sausages in yorkshire pudding batter)
York ham with Madeira sauce
Berbere (spice mix)
Doro wett (spiced chicken stew)
T’ej (honey wine)
Yataklete kilkil (vegetable stew with garlic and ginger)
Yedoro shorba (chicken soup with garlic and ginger)
Aubergine en caton (roasted eggplant)
Baeckeoffe (potato turnip casserole)
Beurre d’Isigny (homemade butter?)
Bireweche (Christmas fruit bread)
Bouillabaisse (fish stew)
Bourride (aioli fish stew)
Brandade de morue (whipped cod and potatoes)
Calissons d’Aix (almond paste candy)
Charcuterie (deli plates)
Chou farci a la Grassoise (savoy cabbage)
Choucroute de navets (turnip sauerkraut)
Choucroute garnie (dressed cabbage with sausages and potatoes)
Clafoutis limousin (cherry cake)
Confiture de groseilles (gooseberry jam)
Crepes dentelles (crispy buttery cookies)
Croque madame (ham and cheese sandwich with a fried egg on top)
Croquembouche (choux puffs with caramel)
Gateau mille-feuilles (puff pastry slices with cream and chocolate)
Gateau pithiviers (2 puff pastry disks with apricot filling)
Gateau St. Honore (puff pastry, choux buns, pastry cream)
Kugelhopf (almond raisin brioche cake)
Oeufs a la neige and ile flottante (meringue and creme anglaise)
Pan bagnat (nicoise salad in a sandwich)
Poisson au beurre blanc
Pommes gaufrettes (waffle fries)
Poulet a l’estragon
Poulet farnese (roast chicken with hazelnuts and bay leaves)
Quenelles de brochet (fish cakes)
Radis au beurre
Salade Lyonnaise (frisee, bacon, poached egg)
Salsify (parsnip relative)
Socca (chickpea flour flatbread)
Sole a le meuniere (panfried sole with butter, lemon, parsley)
Soupe a l’oignon
Soupe au pistou (French minestrone)
Tate flambee alsacienne (cream, bacon, onion pizza)
Tourte de blette sucree (swiss chard tart)
Truite au bleu (poached trout with potatoes)
Tuiles (wafer cone cookies)
Lobio satsivi (green beans in walnut sauce)
Tkemali (plum sauce)
Baumkuchen / Jaffa cake
Berliner pfannkuchen (jam-filled iced donuts)
Bohmischer karpfen (bohemian carp)
Frankfurter pudding (almond raisin orange cake)
Gurkensalat (cucumber salad)
Mohr im hemd (chocolate hazelnut pudding)
Obstkuchen (fruit tart)
Rote grutze (red berry pudding)
Salkartoffeln (boiled potatoes)
Salzstangen (pretzel sticks)
Schillerlocken (pastry tubes with cream)
Streuselkuchen (crumb cake)
Weihnachtsgeback (Christmas cookies)
Pastitsio (Greek lasagna)
Diri ak djon-djon (black mushroom rice)
Halaszle (fisherman’s stew)
Hungarian apple strudel
Szeged gulyas (pork goulash)
Biryani (mixed rice and meat)
Papadums (crisp flatbread)
Bhel puri (puffed rice, vegetables, and tamarind sauce)
Dhansak (meat with lentils and vegetables)
Dosa (rice crepes)
Ekuri (ginger scrambled eggs)
Kachori (samosa stuffed with dal)
Kulfi (Indian ice cream)
Lamb vindaloo (lamb curry)
Mulligatawny soup (coconut lentil carrot apple curry)
Pakora and bhajia (onion chick pea fritters)
Phirni (rice/tapioca pudding)
Saag gosht (lamb and spinach curry)
Tandoori murgh (roasted yogurt-spiced chicken)
Thali: raita, sabzi, dum aloo, roti, pickles (platter)
Uthappam with raita (vegetable pizza/pancake with fermented batter)
Vagharela chawal ne murghi (caramelized rice with chicken curry)
Ajam roedjak (meat in spicy coconut milk)
Loempia (Indonesian spring rolls)
Nasi goreng (fried rice with meat and vegetables)
Nasi padang / rijsttafel (rice with a bunch of small plates)
Otak-otak (grilled fish cake)
Pisang goreng (banana fritters)
Rendang (spicy meat)
Sambal goreng (chili paste)
Seroendeng (spicy fried coconut condiment)
Soto ajam (chicken noodle soup)
Ash-e anar (pomegranate split pea soup with meatballs)
Chelo kebab (rice and kebabs)
Irish breakfast (bacon rashers, pork sausages, fried eggs (or scrambled), white pudding, black pudding, toast and fried tomato. Sauteed field mushrooms are also sometimes included, as well as baked beans, hash browns, liver, and brown soda bread)
Alici (anchovies with spaghetti)
Buccellato (fig and nut Christmas cake)
Cacio e pepe (spaghetti with pecorino and pepper)
Cappelletti (circular ravioli)
Carciofi romaneschi (herb-stuffed artichokes)
Carta da musica (semolina crackers)
Cassoeula (pork and cabbage)
Castagnaccio (chestnut cake)
Fichi ripieni al forno (figs stuffed with nuts)
Fritto misto di pesce
Gelato en briocha (brioche bun ice cream sandwich)
Giardiniera (pickled vegetables)
Grilled scampi with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic
Insalata di frutti di mare
Merluzzo in bianco
Mostarda di cremona (fruit / mustard condiment)
Orzotto (barley risotto)
Pan de patata (potato bread)
Pane sciocco (bread without salt)
Panelle (chickpea fritters)
Panforte di Siena (chocolate, fruit, nut chewy dessert)
Panzanella (bread, tomato, onion salad)
Pizzoccheri (short buckwheat tagliatelle)
Pollo al mattone (chicken grilled with a brick)
Rao’s lemon chicken
Risotto al frutti di mare
Risotto Milanese (parmesan saffron risotto)
Risotto saltato (leftover risotto pancakes)
Sartu di riso (rice with meat sauce, peas, mushrooms)
Spaghetti a vongole
Spaghetti gricia (bacon, pecorino, pepper)
Sugo di uva (grape pudding)
Tartufi ice cream
Black fruitcake (rum-soaked burnt sugar fruitcake)
Blue mountain coffee
Sorrel punch (hibiscus drink)
Kohaku suzuke (pickled cucumbers)
Bean paste mochi
Chawanmushi (savory egg custard)
Hakuto no dengaku (miso-glazed eggplant)
Hiyayakko (chilled tofu)
Kabocha no sawayaka ni (lemon-simmered kabocha squash)
Kamameshi (mixed rice pilaf)
Kasutera (sponge cake)
Kyuri (Japanese cucumber)
Natto (fermented soybeans)
Nuta (mustard-miso dressing)
Ochazuke (rice with poured tea, salmon, vegetables)
Senbei (rice crackers)
Subasu (lotus root)
Tamagoyaki (rolled omelette)
Wagyu (kobe beef)
Washoku (traditional Japanese cooking)
Yakitori (chicken skewers)
Berengena frita (fried eggplant)
Bialys (flatbread bagels)
Charoset (dark fruit nut paste)
Chelo (Persian rice)
Cholent (slow cooked beef bean potato onion honey paprika stew)
Choresh bademjon (eggplant tomato stew)
Choresh qormeh sabzi (green herb, bean, and meat stew)
Gehakte leber (chopped liver and onions)
Halvah (sweet sesame treat)
Hamantaschen and orejas de haman (poppyseed filled pocket cookies)
Keftes de prasa (leek patties)
Knishes (baked dumplings with meat, potatoes, kraut)
Kookoo sabzi (green Persian frittata)
Lekach (honey ginger cake)
Matzo brei (scrambled matzo with eggs)
Megina (Passover meat casserole/pie)
Mushroom and barley soup
Nigella sativa (black cumin)
Nohut (chick pea stew)
Passover sponge cake
Pickled green peppers
Pizza ebraica (sweet filled cookie with nuts, raisins, wine, fruit)
Shvartze retach mit schmaltz (radish onion relish)
Silan (date honey syrup)
Gochujang (chili paste)
Japchae (noodle stirfry)
Saenggang cha (ginger tea)
Yangnyeom dak (sweet and sour chicken)
Arepas (corn patties)
Picadillo (ground meat, raisins, olives, tomato, spices)
Tostones (fried plantains)
Kibbeh (bulgur, onion, meat croquettes)
Asam laksa (spicy salmon noodle soup)
Kuih (steamed coconut rice custard cake)
Nasi ayam (chicken fried rice)
Nyonya rojak (savory fruit and vegetable salad)
Poh piah (fresh spring roll)
Pulot hitam (black sticky rice pudding)
Huachinango a la veracruzana (snapper with wine, olives, raisins, spices)
Huevos rancheros (tortilla, egg, salsa, beans)
Mole (chocolate chili sauce)
Natilla (vanilla lemon cinnamon egg custard)
Sopa de tortilla
Verduras en escabeche (citrus pickled vegetables)
Baba ghanoush (eggplant dip)
Borek (stuffed phyllo pastry)
Cacik (cucumber yogurt dip)
Nan-o panir-o-gerdu (feta walnut spread)
Semsemiyeh (sesame candy)
Za’atar (toasted sesame seed spice mix)
Briks and briouats (Moroccan samosas)
Kab el ghzal (almond-filled crescent cookies)
M’hanncha (almond pastry snake cake)
Mssiyar (pickled lemons)
Sweet and savory roasted fish
Piri-piri shrimp (shrimp in red pepper sauce)
Akara (black eyed pea fritters)
Efo riro (spinach stew)
Chakchouka (eggs baked in tomato, onion, pepper)
Chermoula (herb garlic lemon marinade)
Harira (tomato lentil chickpea meat soup)
Matbucha (tomato and pepper salad)
Tagine (vegetable casserole)
Choclo (giant corn)
Papa morada (sweet corn pudding)
Pollo a la brasa (marinated roasted chicken)
Bigos (cabbage sausage stew)
Kutya (sweet wheat berry pudding)
Mazurek (sweet, flat jam cake)
Fios de ovos (egg yolks boiled in sugar syrup into threads)
Malasadas (yeast donut)
Borscht (beet soup)
Chervil (French parsley)
Guriev kasha (sweet kasha porridge)
Kotlety pozharskie (ground chicken cutlet)
Paska (Easter bread)
Kvass (fermented rye drink)
Marinovannye griby (marinated mushrooms)
Pelmeni (filled meat dumplings with sour cream)
Knackebrod (multiseed crispbread)
Lefse (potato flatbread)
Rugbrod (Danish rye bread)
Wienerpolser (hot dogs)
Langoustines with hollandaise sauce
Hibiscus petal juice
Mafe (meat-tomato-peanut butter stew)
Palaver sauce (stew of meat, fish, greens)
Thiakry (sweet millet pudding)
Thiebu djen (fish and rice stew)
Torta od oraha (walnut cake)
Lassi (fruit yogurt drink)
Murtabak (spicy folded omelette pancake with vegetables)
Bobotie (curried meat and fruit casserole with egg topping)
Bunny chow (bread loaf filled with curry)
Fufu dumplings (yam dumplings)
Imifino patties (greens and cornmeal patties)
Ithanga (pumpkin fritters)
Koeksisters (sticky braided donuts)
Mbatata (sweet potato cookies)
Sik sik wat (beef red pepper stew)
Simsim (sesame seed honey balls)
Umngqusho (baked curry beans and potatoes)
Tortilla espanola (egg and potato omelet)
Caldo gallego (white bean and greens soup)
Dulce de cascara de naranja amarga (marmalae)
Huevos estrellados (broken eggs, ham, peppers)
Mariscada en salsa verde (seafood stew in green sauce)
Paella with saffron (seafood, sausage, rice)
Sopa de ajo castellana (garlic soup with eggs)
Arter med flask (pea soup with pork)
Hasselbackspotatis (baked potatoes)
Platter (Swedish pancakes)
Semlor / fastelavnsboller (cardamom sweet buns with almond filling and whipped cream)
Rosti (hash browns)
Zuger kirschtorte (cherry meringue sponge torte)
Gai yang (Thai marinated grilled chicken)
Ginger fried rice
Kaeng musmun (Massaman thai curry)
Kaeng phet (red curry)
Mee krob (crispy stir-fried noodles)
Sangkhaya (coconut custard)
Tom kha gai (chicken coconut soup)
Cerkez tavugu (Circassian chicken with walnuts)
Kilic sis (BBQ fish skewers)
Lahmajoun (Armenian ground beef pizza)
Manti (meat dumplings with egg pasta dough and garlic yogurt sauce)
Rahat lokum (Turkish delight)
Simit (sesame seed bread ring)
Tsetov gangar (artichoke, lemon, potato salad)
Korovai (decorated braided bread)
Kotlety po-kievski (Chicken kiev)
Bun cha gio (pork and noodle salad)
Ca chien (fried fish)
Cha ca la vong (turmeric and dill fish)
Chao tom (sugar cane shrimp)
Goi du du (green papaya salad)
GBB1 Week 1 – Cake: Victoria Sponge Cake
GBB1 Week 5 – Pastry: Cornish Pasty
GBB2 Week 1 – Cake: Coffee and Walnut Battenberg
GBB2 Week 3 – Bread: Foccaccia
GBB2 Week 4 – Biscuits: Brandy Snaps
GBB2 Week 7 – Patisserie: Iced Buns
GBB2 Week 8 – The Final: Sachertorte
GBB3 Week 1 – Cake: Rum Baba
GBB3 Week 3 – Tart: Treacle Tart
GBB3 Week 4 – Desserts: Crème Caramel
GBB3 Week 7 – Sweet Dough: Jam Doughnut
GBB3 Week 8 – Biscuits: Chocolate Teacakes
GBB3 Week 9 – Patisserie: Fraiser Cake
GBB3 Week 10 – The Final: Fondant Fancies
GBB4 Week 1 – Cake: Angel Food Cake
GBB4 Week 3 – Desserts: Floating Islands
GBB4 Week 4 – Pies and Tarts: Egg Custard Tarts
GBB4 Week 5 – Biscuits and Traybakes: Tuiles
GBB4 Week 6 – Sweet Dough: Apricot Couronne
GBB4 Week 7 – Pastry: Religieuses
GBB4 Week 8 – Quarter Final: Hazelnut Dacquoise
GBB4 Week 9 – Semi Final: Charlotte Royal
GBB4 Week 10 – The Final: Pretzels
GBB5 Week 1 – Cake: Cherry Cake
GBB5 Week 2 – Biscuits: Florentines
GBB5 Week 4 – Desserts: Tiramisu Cakes
GBB5 Week 5 – Pies and Tarts: Mini Pear Pies
GBB5 Week 6 – European Cakes: Prinsesstarta
GBB5 Week 7 – Pastries: Kouign-Amann
GBB5 Week 9 – Patisserie: Schichttorte
GBB6 Week 1 – Cake: Frosted Walnut Layer Cake
GBB6 Week 2 – Biscuits: Ariettes
GBB6 Week 4 – Desserts: Spanische Windtorte
GBB6 Week 6 – Pastry: Flaounes
GBB6 Week 7 – Victorian: Tennis Cake
GBB6 Week 8 – Patisserie: Mokatines
GBB6 Week 9 – Chcolate: Chocolate Souffle
GBB6 Week 10 – The Final: Millie-feuille
GBB7 Week 1 – Cake: Jaffa Cakes
GBB7 Week 2 – Biscuits: Viennese Whirls
GBB7 Week 4 – Batter: Lace Pancakes
GBB7 Week 6 – Botanical: Fresh Herb Fougasse
GBB7 Week 7 – Dessert: Marjolaine
GBB7 Week 8 – Tudor: Jumble Biscuits
GBB7 Week 9 – Patisserie: Savarin with Chantilly Cream
GBB7 Week 10 – Final: Victoria Sandwich
GBB8 Week 1- Chocolate Mini Rolls
GBB8 Week 2 – Fortune Cookies
GBB8 Week 4 – Stroopwafels
GBB8 Week 5 – Molten Chocolate Puddings
GBB8 Week 6 – Pastéis de Nata
GBB8 Week 8 – Cumberland Rum Nicky
GBB8 Week 9 – Les Misérables Slices
GBB8 Week 10 – Iced Ginger Biscuits
GBB9 Week 1- Wagon Wheels
GBB9 Week 2 – Le Gâteau Vert
GBB9 Week 4 – Raspberry Blancmange with 12 Langues du Chat Biscuits
GBB9 Week 5 – Ma’amoul
GBB9 Week 6 – Puits d’amour
GBB9 Week 7 – Vegan Tropical Fruit Pavlova
GBB9 Week 8 – Æbleskiver
GBB9 Week 9 – Torta Setteveli
GBB9 Week 10 – Campfire Pita Breads
GBB10 Week 1- Angel Slices
GBB10 Week 2 – Fig Rolls
GBB10 Week 4 – Maids of Honour
GBB10 Week 5 – Beignet Souffles
GBB10 Week 6 – Verrines
GBB10 Week 7 – Sicilian Cassatelles
GBB10 Week 9 – Gâteau Saint Honoré
GBB10 Week 10 – Stilton Soufflés